Monday, July 6, 2009

Walla Walla and Wallowa

Walla Walla and Wallowa. Can you say that ten times fast?

Mid-June Mom, Levi, and I headed SE to visit my friend, Katie, from college. We stayed in Walla Walla for two days and visited the Whitman Mission, Ft. Walla Walla, and a couple of wineries. Oh, and we ate at this great French restaurant that was tres kid-friendly.


The Whitman Mission was a very interesting and solemn experience.



There was an old covered wagon on the mission grounds that Levi had a grand time playing in. My mom has always loved the "pioneer days" and covered wagons--and she loves Levi, too, so I had to take a picture of the two of them beside it.


Katie and I on her doorstep. She was a fabulous hostess and showed us about Wallowa Co. (as much as two days allowed.) It is a beautiful piece of this country. She calls it "The Shire," and I see why: community is rich, life is lived closely to the land, it is hedged in by mountains, and even its women have hairy feet :).



Yes, we are sitting on a giant chair. We hobbit folk are small.



One of my better photographs, I think.



Beautiful Wallowa Lake


I feel that this welcome mat by Katie's front step is very fitting. It is bright, cheery, and welcoming--just like Katie and her home.

No comments: